The GoldFynch file processing system retries processing the files multiple times before they are set to an errored state. So if an issue is flagged it is typically permanent, such as a corrupt, or invalid file, or semi-permanent, such as an unexpected file condition. However, sometimes it may be a temporary issue with the processing system and the files will go through fine when retried again later or on a different processing machine.
If there are errored files in your case, you will see a "Notify GoldFynch team" button at the top of the screen when in the 'Issues' view. Clicking this will automatically re-queue any errored files for another try through the processing system, as well as alert the GoldFynch team to review the files and the error log.
In the case of container files (.PST, .ZIP) that have errors, the system tries to recognize certain types of errors that can occur while processing them. Some of the common errors that are encountered are:
- NBT errors - refers to an error in the "node block tree" of the PST file. Typically, such an error is caused when the NBT references files that cannot be found in the PST. This could be the result of the PST being corrupt or an update/write operation being interrupted
- File Truncation - occurs when there is an error reading files beyond a certain point, and often is because of incomplete and interrupted transfers
- Checksum errors - indicates data failures in specific parts of the PST or specific attachments, possibly caused by an interruption during updating/copying. Such corruption may not be apparent in Outlook unless those particular attachments are opened
You can view the container file processing errors from the Overview screen, Files view, Document viewer, and Issues view.
You can validate your PSTs before uploading them using GoldFynch’s free PST viewer.
Viewing container file processing errors from the Issues view
1. Navigate to the Issues view by clicking on the 'Issues' icon on the left panel
2. Deselect all the Issue types (checks on the left side of the screen) and select only the Errored issue type
3. Deselect all the File types (checks on the right side of the screen) and select only the types pst and zip
4. Click on the information icon next to Issue type to view the details of the error
You can try to resolve the error by trying the possible fixes given on the details page and then upload the file again
Viewing container file processing errors from the Overview screen
In the event that your case has container files that have a processing error, then that will be listed on the Overview screen of your case
Viewing container file processing errors from the Files view
1. Navigate to the files view
2. Navigate to the file with the error and click on the information icon against it to view additional information and possible solutions
Viewing container file processing errors from the Document viewer
1. Navigate to the files view
2. Open the errored file in the document viewer
3. Click on the 'More Details' button to view additional information and possible solutions