Learn how to set custodians and sources for your files on GoldFynch, as well as attach notes to them for reference.
Creating Custodians and Sources
You can create custodians and sources either independently (in the ‘Manage Custodians/Sources’ tab of the ‘Settings’ view) or at the time of uploading files. Note that custodians and sources can only be assigned to files at the time of uploading them.
Creating Custodians and Sources independently
Step 1. Click on the ‘Settings’ view icon in the left panel
Step 2. Click on the '
Manage Custodians/Sources' tab
Step 3. Click on the '
+New Custodian' button to create a new custodian, or click on the '
+New Source' to create a new source
Step 4. Enter a name for your custodian or source, and add notes into the textbox provided if you wish to
Step 5. Click on the '
Creating Custodians and Sources while uploading files
Custodians and sources can only be assigned to files at the time of uploading them. While doing so, you can choose to create new custodians and sources instead of using existing ones
Step 1. Click on the ‘Files’ view button in the left panel
Step 2. Upload your files by either drag-and-dropping them or selecting files with the 'Upload Files' button (learn more about uploading files here.)
You will be shown an overlay:
It will display:
- The number of files you are about to upload
- The location to which they will be uploaded
- Drop-down lists of existing custodians and sources
Step 4. Click on either the ‘Custodian’ or ‘Source’ drop-down lists. You can:
- choose an existing custodian/source to assign it to all files being uploaded
- type a name into the box and click on the ‘Create Custodian/Source’ option to create a new custodian or source and assign it to all files being uploaded
Step 5. Click on the '
Begin Upload' button. Once the files upload and are processed, they will be labeled with the custodians and sources you assigned
Managing Custodians and Sources
In the '
Manage Custodians/Sources' tab (accessed from the ‘Settings’ view,) apart from creating new custodians and sources, you can:
- Check how many files each source and custodian has been applied to
- Edit the name and notes for a custodian or source by clicking on the '
edit'button (the pencil)
- Click on the '
delete'button (the trashcan) to delete a custodian or source permanently (and remove the label from all files it is currently assigned to)
Note: Adding notes to your custodians and sources is a handy way of keeping track of additional information about your imported data without needing to reference an external log, or clutter your case with long and complex file and tag names
Uses of Custodians and Source
The custodians and sources you assign to files serve many purposes:
1) You can easily track where a document is sourced from or who the custodian is from the information panel on the right side of your screen in the ‘Docs’ view:
2) In the ‘Search’ view, you can filter search results by individual sources and custodians:
3) When performing Advanced Searches, you can search for files using the ‘Custodian’ and ‘Source’ parameters
4) When generating case reports the ‘Custodian’ and ‘Source’ parameters are included as fields
5) While setting up load file control parameters profiles you can include the ‘Custodian’ and ‘Source’ parameters, which can be applied to load files that are generated