Here is how to upload zip files to GoldFynch:
Step 1. Navigate to the 'Files' view in GoldFynch by clicking on the icon in the left panel
Step 2. To upload the file either:
- Click on the 'Upload Files' button
- Browse to the location of the file on your computer
- Select the file
- Click on the 'Open' button
- Drag-and-drop the zipped file onto the screen
NOTE: To zip files, select all the files and folders you wish to zip, then:
- On Windows: Right-click, choose "Send to", then choose 'Zip'
- On Mac: Right-click and select 'Compress'
Step 3. A confirmation screen will appear. Click on the 'Begin Upload' button (you can also enter a custodian or source if you wish to)
GoldFynch will automatically unzip the file, expand the contents, and process all the files within it.
The advantages of uploading files as zip files are:
- You only need to upload one file
- GoldFynch maintains the file and folder structure of all the files within the uploaded zip file, so you don't need to recreate it on GoldFynch. It even handles folders within folders
- The uploads go faster because files are compressed and you are uploading a much smaller file
- ZIpping files before uploading them may help prevent zero-byte files from occurring
NOTE: There is a known issue that large zip files created on OSX (Mac) have when attempting to unzip them when on other operating systems like Windows. This also causes errors on GoldFynch. To avoid this, do not upload zip files created on OSX that are larger than 4 GB. To learn more about the issue, refer to this article.